A Grand Hotel, rich in traditions

История Grand Hotel Kronenhof насчитывает более 170 лет. Сначала это был Гостевой дом Rössli. В 1898 году он был перестроен и получил название "Kronenhof & Bellavista", в то время в нем могли комфортно разместиться 350 человек. 

В начале и середине ХХ века, когда о мирной жизни можно было только мечтать, совсем немногие могли отправиться отдыхать на альпийский курорт. Выжить в военные годы отелю помогали виноградники Вальтеллина - основной доход приносил винный магазин, расположенный под отелем. По окончании второй мировой войны ситуация резко изменилась – в 1948 году в соседнем Санкт-Морице во второй раз с 1928 года прошли Зимние Олимпийские игры, вернув в Энгадин прежний уклад жизни.

Discover more details...

1848 Founder’s first moves
Gasthaus zur Krone-Post

Andreas Gredig (1806–1877) from Grüsch, moves to Pontresina and buys the guest house Gasthaus Rössli for his son Lorenz Gredig (1829–1905). Lorenz establishes a wine shop in the cellar for Veltliner wine, and buys horses to transport the wine from Veltlin across the Bernina Pass. He also renovates the "Rössli" and, in 1851, reopens it as "Gasthaus zur Krone-Post".

1860 - 1870 First flush of success

Lorenz Gredig expands the guest-house operation, adding the adjoining old school house – commissioning Grisons master builder Nikolaus Hartmann Sr. to convert it, along with two further buildings across the street. The "Krone" now offers accommodation for 50 guests.

1872 - 1879 Expansion and New Name
New Dining Room

The “Krone” flourishes thanks to the Upper Engadine’s sudden popularity with tourists, and needs more rooms facing the valley for guests to dine and for celebrations. Hartman returns to build a new dining hall with a kitchen below it. He subsequently adds the “Bellavista wing” with its luxury salons (Salle de Conversation, Salle des Dames, Salle de Billard) and guest rooms with private drawing rooms. Lorenz Gredig also enhances the status of his establishment by renaming it: "Hotel Kronenhof und Bellavista".

1896 - 1898 Expansion by architect Jacob and Georg Ragaz
The horseshoe-shaped complex is built

The Kronenhof experiences its largest and most significant extension so far. Based on the plans of architects Jacob and Georg Ragaz, the hotel is transformed into a horseshoe-shaped three-winged complex with a forecourt (Cour d'honneur). The main entrance is now situated under the dome at the centre of the forecourt, featuring the impressive, light-flooded hotel foyer, and with elegant drawing rooms on either side. The extensions are completed by the addition of two side aisles to enlarge the dining room, which becomes known as the sumptuous “Grand Restaurant”. A tennis court is also built in the park. The hotel, which now features more than 350 guest rooms, is renamed once again to "Grand Hotel Kronenhof and Bellavista".

1905 Belle Époque
Heyday of tourism

Lorenz Gredig dies and his son Lorenz Gredic-Fanconi (1861–1940) takes over the management of the Kronenhof. The golden era of the Belle Époque brings well-heeled guests from all over the world – traveling comfortably from 1903 on the Rhaetian Railway from Chur to Samedan, and from 1908 directly to Pontresina. Lorenz Gredig-Fanconi builds an ice-skating rink and makes plans for a new wing with a separate ballroom. But then, in 1914, the First World War breaks out.

1915 Crisis years
Investments despite uncertain times

The war and the years of crisis that accompanied and immediately followed it put a massive strain on the Kronenhof – only the wine shop and agriculture business are secure sources of income. Behind the scenes, however, more modernizing is taking place: the kitchen is extended, a new heating system installed, and en-suite bathrooms are added to all guest rooms.

1928 Winter Olympics
Upswing thanks to the Olympic Games

St. Moritz hosts the Olympic Winter Games, and Pontresina hosts the ski-jumping competition. The Engadine once again becomes the haunt of the jet set, and this soon leads to a series of further innovations. In 1933 the architect Nikolaus Hartmann Jr. designs a wooden ice pavilion with a sun terrace at the hotel ice rink, and then in 1937/38 adds a new vault for the tavern as well as new pine wainscoting for the Restaurant Kronenstübli in the oldest part of the hotel.

1940 Effects of the Second World War
Dwindling numbers of guests

The Second World War turns Switzerland into an Alpine fortress with only a few Swiss guests lodging in the oldest part of the Kronenhof. At the age of 81, Lorenz Gredig-Fanconi dies. His children Lorenz Gredig-Stünzi (Grisons cantonal councillor, and vice president of the Swiss Hoteliers Association), Andreas Gredig (director of the hotel from 1945), Christian Gredig (director of the wine trade), Giachem Gredig (responsible for the agriculture business), Thomas Gredig and Margerite Gredig – the only daughter – continue to run the business.

1948 Winter Olympics
Where the world comes together

The Winter Olympics takes place for the second time in the Upper Engadine. Once again, the region becomes the meeting point for an international crowd, with St. Moritz as the glamorous centre and Pontresina as an oasis of privacy and tranquillity.

1954-1974 Showtime at Kronenhof
Stars and starlets

Lorenz Gredig IV, son of Christian Gredig, takes the helm of the Kronenhof. He welcomes industrialists, artists, royalty and film stars.

1963/64 New indoor pool
Swimming fun

The Kronenhof now has an indoor pool which is connected to the outdoor swimming pool in the large hotel park.

1975 A woman’s touch at the Kronenhof
End of a family tradition

Family member Rita-Angela Gredig is the first woman to take over the management of Kronenhof, which now has a staff of 140. In 1984, the establishment is leased, but since one of the 16 Gredig heirs demands cash, the Gredig family sells the Kronenhof after 140 years of family tradition. The new owners, the Swiss private investors Hans C. Bodmer and Andreas G. Schmid, maintain the traditional establishment with great commitment until 2002, when the Zurich 5-star hotelier Henry Hunold takes over the management.

2004 The latest owners
Redesigned west wing

In spring, the AG Grand-Hotels Engadinerkulm AG, which owns the famous Kulm Hotel St. Moritz, purchases the Grand Hotel Kronenhof together with all its properties. In the course of a careful renovation, the former patrician Villa Ganzoni, as the newly designed west wing, opens its doors in December with 29 elegant rooms and suites.

2005 New rooms and flooring
New splendour

Seven rooms, unused for 20 years, are completely renovated and refurbished in time to accommodate extra guests for the winter season. The corridors on the upper four floors are also completely redesigned and renovated, and the "pitch pine" that had panelled the old corridors for over 100-year is preserved and used in the new wooden floor of the Kronenstübli.